A simple phrase which can provoke a variety of reactions in adults ….
- Happy childhood memories
- Fun times with your own children
- Or absolute fear!
Which one describes you best?
In all honesty, I confess that I have experienced all three reactions at one point or another in my life!
So why should we be getting in the kitchen with our children?
Spending time together, getting creative in the kitchen, is time well spent! They (& possibly you too) will learn and develop new skills, and it is great for encouraging them to try new tastes, so excellent for encouraging picky eaters!
Who knows….you could start them on the path to discovering their future career!
One of my best childhood memories is spending time in the kitchen with my mum. She would lift me onto the worktop so I could help stir the mixture, and best of all…
“she let me lick the spoon afterwards!!! “Ah..happy memories!
Naturally, this was a tradition I wanted to continue with my own children, in fact my daughter still enjoys baking as an adult, but my 2 sons, not so much! They are more interested in computer cookies than baking cookies now they are grown up unfortunately!
Who knew, that years later I would set up my own cake decorating business?
OK, but what other benefits are there?
Baking with children can help develop a huge variety of age related skills, including:
- Maths – weighing, measuring and counting ingredients
- Science – exploring how ingredients change when they are mixed together
- Literacy – reading recipes and following instructions
- Physical development – fine motor skills and hand-eye co-ordination
- Social-Emotional development – hands on baking helps children to develop pride and confidence in their new skills and abilities.
- Creativity – baking and decorating is great for letting your child’s creativity loose, whether it is adding sprinkles to cupcakes or more adventurous decorating techniques for older children.
- And many more ……..
Katy Ashworth, who presented ‘I Can Cook’ on CBeebies from 2009-2015 shares her thoughts on the advantages of baking with children in her article “If flour + sugar + children = mess, why let them bake? (click here to read it in full)
But don’t panic – you don’t need to be a baking genius to bake with your children!
There are so many easy, child-friendly recipes out there, even ones which don’t need any baking knowledge or skills at all!
So, why not learn together?
Here are some links for ideas to get you started:
But how do I know what is age appropriate for my child?
The BBC Good Food have produced a useful guide to cookery skills by age, which includes suggestions and advice for cooking/baking with children of all ages. Click here to read the article.
I really hope this has inspired you to bake up a storm with your children in the kitchen!
But, if it still all seems too much for you…..click here to order one of my fabulous cakes!!